Sunday, January 25, 2015


 Now for Poland! This was a fantastic experience and I would recommend everyone to go. When I first arrived the temperature was easily below 32 F and it didn't increase very much over the course of the next week--when I left it was -7C or about 19 F!  It was also a bit of a shock to learn that Poland is part of the EU but does not have euros--instead they have zloty. (for reference $1=3.75 zlot!!)
I was able to it to a wide range of attractions, many of which were museums. One was on the Warsaw uprising that occurred in 1944 and another was of a LEGO exhibition, which was quiet fun.  


These are some of the armbands that supporters of the uprising would wear. 

Took a picture of this for the guys--it is a modified pistol so it is able to shoot hand grenades. I thought it was kind of nifty.  
Here are some photos from the LEGO exhibition. Some of the creations were very accurate and creative. The was one that a skying lodge paid to have done as a form of advertisement, the Simpson's house, some Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Starwars, and the star of the exhibition--an 8 meter long replica of the Titanic.
I believe that this is a snapshot of Warsaw before or after the uprising and the picture below is of the city during winter during the time that Russian troops occupied the city.  

Below is the chill of Poland being represented by a small LEGO man trying to stay warm next to a fire on the side of the street.
The Titanic that I mentioned earlier--just the tip, which includes the ever classic scene with the two lovebirds; although, they are a bit difficult to see. 
The closest thing I saw for a christmas tree in Warsaw. 
Next on the list was seeing the local palace/castle. It was a much more realistic center of politics than many of the other places that you see around europe. My friend and I geeked out a little bit with the flooring. It was incredibly interact and I feel that the floors of the palace were comparable to the ceilings that can be found in palaces of France.

An impressive painting of the palace from when it was originally built. 






A small game room...I believe--the floors are incredible! 




The "Marble Room", the walls, floors and ceiling are all marble--very impressed. 
We also made it to a town that was a couple hours away. It had one of the oldest town squares and sported its own castle and watch tower. Unfortunately, we were unable to go into neither the castle or watch tower because we happened to go on the day that they were closed, but the watch tower still provided a beautiful view of the town. 

One of the oldest town squares...at least that is what my sources tell me. 
Last but not least--the food! My friend was gracious enough to take me to many of the local restaurants that gave the best traditional foods. 
This was a very popular restaurant and the food was amazing--it provided lots of food. 

I will spell this how it is pronounced--pear-rogy, meat stuffed dumplings. They were the best thing ever. Oh, I should mention that you sprinkle them with bacon and bacon grease.



A puff pastry with cream inside. I am not sure what they name of it is, but it was delicious...and a little messy. 
The coffee culture it also really big in Warsaw. Sooo many cappuccinos, but all of them were delicious!  



Last but not lease--the beer scene! Here are just some suggestions... the first three are vodkas (which I have not tried) and all the rest are beers that I tried and recommend. 





 This next week I will be traveling on a business trip with my class to Lille and Brussels, so I should have some good pictures soon! To finish off this post, I present you with a most amusing advertisement from a local grocery chain.  

MMMM, sandwich.  

No comments:

Post a Comment